Summer is in full swing, so here are our top ten tips when visiting County Mayo with the family!
Ten Things to do in County Mayo
- Visit Westport House – Okay, we may be a little biased on this one putting it at the top of the list 🙂
- Climb Croagh Patrick (or what the locals call ‘The Reek’) – Not for the faint hearted, but the views at the top are completely worth it!
- Cycle the Great Western Greenway – What was once a train line running from Westport to Achill, has now been transformed into a stunning 42km cycle route. A great way to get some fresh air with the family!
- Visit Achill Island – Ireland’s largest island.
- Visit Downpatrick Head and the Céide Fields – Older than the pyramids of Egypt!
- Visit the National Museum of Ireland & Country Life – situated in the stunning grounds of Turlough Park
- Take a boat trip through Killary Fjord – Probably one of the most stunning and scenic tours you will ever do (if we do say so ourselves).
- Pay a trip to the beautiful Ballycroy National Park – 11,000 hectares of Atlantic blanket bog and mountainous terrain, covering a vast uninhabited and unspoilt wilderness dominated by the Nephin Beg mountain range.
- Visit the setting for the famous film ‘ The Quiet Man’ – Cong is one of the most picturesque villages in Mayo.
- Go swimming or build a sand castle – at one of Mayo’s many gorgeous blue flag beaches including Bertra, Old Head, Mulranny and Carrowmore.