Get Top Marks for Your School Tour.
With a rich heritage including Grace O’Malley (16th century pirate queen), Ireland’s most beautiful historic house, the new Westport Train Tour (educational tour of the heritage town) and the award-winning Pirate Adventure Park , you’ll be top of the class when you choose Westport House for your school tour! It has the ideal blend of fun, activity and education – the school tour that will satisfy everyone.
School Tour Visits – What is Included?
Your admission price of €12 per person includes your visit to Westport House and the Pirate Adventure Park.
There has been a ‘big house’ on this site since the 1500’s, when Grace O Malley, the famous Pirate Queen, built one of her many castles here. The current House – built in 1730 by the Browne family who still own and run it today – has
- an impressive 30 rooms open to the public
- hundreds of antiques, artworks and artefacts
- 6 permanent exhibitions
- the dungeons (the remains of Grace O’Malley’s castle)
All visiting schools are encouraged to visit the house for a self-guided tour.
The Pirate Adventure Park delivers hours of fun ideally suited to junior infants through to sixth class students – with something for all ages. The Pirate Adventure Park features unlimited use of:
- the Pirate Queen’s Ship (swinging ship ride),
- Pirates Plunge (Ireland’s only splash-tastic log flume ride),
- Grace’s Bouncy Castle,
- Treasure Island Express (rumble through the jungle),
- The Giant Swan Pedal boats,
- Cannon Ball Run (slippery slide ride),
- Go Karts for littler ones and
- The Pirates Den (indoor soft play area).
As most of the attractions are outdoors, we encourage you to check the weather in advance and please bring weather appropriate attire. Please make sure to wear comfortable shoes as the estate spans 400 acres.
Optional Guided Tours?
If you’re looking to delve into history, we have a selection of fascinating optional add-on tours to offer:
- General House Guided Tour (30 mins) – Our passionate guides tell the story of the family, the connection with Westport town and the high points of the house.
- The Grace O’Malley Guided Tour (30 mins) tells of the relationship of the Browne family to the infamous 16th century pirate queen as well as visiting the high points of her fascinating life.
- The Westport Train Tour (45 mins) is an educational sight-seeing tour of Westport Town showcasing 46 points of interest in Westport town, Westport House estate and Westport Quay. Learn everything you need to know about this beautiful heritage town on this tour.
Looking for Lunch?
The Old Kitchen Cafe is the ideal spot to dine – in the basement of Westport House. We have a brand new €5 Value Menu just for school tours. Choose from
- Margherita Pizza
- Soup & selection of sandwiches
- Accompanied by jugs of squash and water for students and tea/coffee & a biscuit for teachers.
Please pre-order your lunch and reserve seating at least 3 days before arrival. Be sure to let us know if you have any dietary requirements as we will be happy to accommodate them.
Westport House & Pirate Adventure Park – €12 per child
- Optional General Tour of Westport House OR Grace O’Malley Tour – Additional €1 per child | Must be arranged in advance.
Westport Train Tour – €6 per child
1 accompanying adult goes free for every 8 paying children, additional adults charged child pricing.
Lunch in the Old Kitchen Cafe – €5 per person
Call Today +353 (0) 98 27766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for available dates and to explore your options
Locate us on the map here.