The kids are FINALLY out of school, which means only one thing – Holidays!!!It seems us Irish forget sometimes how beautiful our own country really is and how much there is to see and do around the place. Many could say that they have seen more of the tourist sights in Majorca than they have in their own country – but we want to change that! We decided to put together a list of our top recommendations of things to do in Co. Mayo, Westport Town and of course, Westport House!
Ten Things to do in County Mayo
- Climb Croagh Patrick (or what the locals call ‘The Reek’) – Not for the faint hearted, but the views at the top are completely worth it!
- Cycle the Great Western Greenway – What was once a train line running from Westport to Achill, has now been transformed into a stunning 42km cycle route. A great way to get some fresh air with the family!
- Visit Achill Island – Ireland’s largest island.
- Visit Downpatrick Head and the Céide Fields – Older than the pyramids of Egypt!
- Go Fishing in Ballina – The River Moy is known as Ireland’s Salmon capital.
- Visit the National Museum of Ireland & Country Life – situated in the stunning grounds of Turlough Park
- Take a boat trip through Killary Fjord – Probably one of the most stunning and scenic tours you will ever do (if we do say so ourselves).
- Pay a trip to the beautiful Ballycroy National Park – 11,000 hectares of Atlantic blanket bog and mountainous terrain, covering a vast uninhabited and unspoilt wilderness dominated by the Nephin Beg mountain range.
- Visit the setting for the famous film ‘ The Quiet Man’ – Cong is one of the most picturesque villages in Mayo.
- Go swimming or build a sand castle – at one of Mayo’s many gorgeous blue flag beaches including Bertra, Old Head, Mulranny and Carrowmore.
Ten Things to do in Westport
- Take part in a Walking tour – with Westport Walking Tours, in the space of an hour, you will receive the most in-depth tour of our gorgeous town.
- Dine out on some delicious food – A holiday isn’t really holiday without over indulging, and there’s no better place to do it than Westport. With it’s many restaurants, cafés and bakerys to choose from, serving up delicious locally produced grub, you will be spoilt for choice!
- Play a round of golf at Westport Golf Club – an 18 hole championship golf course, designed by renowned international golf course architects Fred Hawtree and Sons.
- Get some fresh air – The Great Western Greenway starts in Westport and is a great way to stretch your legs!
- Every woman’s favorite past time , shopping – Walk through the doors of the scores of colourful shop fronts that bring Westport to life, credit card in hand!
- Go Horse-riding – A unique way of seeing the local scenery! Experience what the Wild Atlantic Way really has to offer with a trek on one of Westport’s beaches or through the stunning country side.
- Go to see ‘Patrick’, the newest production at Westport Town Hall – The focus of this artistic production is to bring local traditional Irish & contemporary performing art forms to the stage to produce original pieces of music, dance & imagery as collaborative forms of narration to tell the story of Ireland’s Patron Saint – St Patrick. It’s a show not to be missed!
- Pamper Yourself – Westport has an impressive selection of luxurious leisure centres and award winning spas. Perfect for a fay of indulgence! Why not have a look at the fabulous spa packages Hotel Westport have to offer?
- Visit the sites – As a designated heritage town, there are plenty of historical sites to explore in Westport, such as Westport House & Gardens, St. Mary’s Church and Aughaval Cemetery. The town itself is full of historical architecture and you can discover more in the Clew Bay Heritage Centre.
- Get your adrenaline pumping – Westport is known for it’s many outdoor racing events such as Gaelforce, Sea2Summit, Wesportif and Gran Fondo Cycle Race to name a few! For those with a bit more energy, Westport is the perfect place for a bit of friendly competition!
Ten Things to do at Westport House
- Get adventurous with Orienteering – with our newest partners, Killary Adventure Co. joining the team, you are sure to have a heart pumping experience while you take part in an orienteering adventure!
- Cycle or walk the Greenway – Did you know the Greenway runs straight through Westport House Grounds?
- Take a tour of the House – The main attraction on the estate, Westport House, once home to Pirate Queen Grace O’Malley, is one of Ireland’s best loved heritage attractions, with over 300 years of history attached.
- Attend one of the many events at Westport House – There is always something happening here at Westport House. Why not get some tickets to the Harvest Fest in August or to the Westport Festival of Chamber Music in September?
- STAY at Westport House – Yes, you read that right! Make Westport House and Grounds your playground during your holiday, while camping right on the estate! Or avoid the hassle of putting up a tent and rent one of our bell tents!
- Visit our Birds of Prey Centre – New to Westport House this Summer, is our Birds of Prey Centre. Every afternoon at 4pm we welcome you to witness our Birds of Prey Show in the courtyard, where you get the unique opportunity to come up close and personal with these majestic creatures!
- Chill out with a pizza and a beer – Gracy’s bar is the perfect option for some tasty food. Known all over Westport for their pizzas, it’s the perfect pick for when you are feeling a bit peckish!
- Hop on our Westport House Train Tour – In just under 50 minutes explore the grounds of Westport House Estate, Westport Quay and the historic town of Westport and enjoy magical views, quirky facts and fascinating stories about the people who once lived here.
- Let out your inner Robin Hood with archey – Another of our activities onsite, traditional archery takes years to master, but you can get a good start by learning from the experienced instructors at Westport House.
- Last, but certainly not least, visit the Pirate Adventure Park – The perfect place to make exciting and fun family memories with a selection of rides and games for all to enjoy!
So, if that hasn’t persuaded you to book a holiday to Mayo, we don’t know what will!
We look forward to seeing you this summer!