Westport Estate is Growing
It is an exciting time to join the team at Westport Estate and Hotel Westport offering the opportunity to become part of a truly transformational change in the Westport and Mayo region.
Westport Estate is owned by the Hughes Group, the Mayo family behind the globally successful clothing manufacturing company, Portwest.
The overall vision of the Hughes Family is to reimagine the entire offering within the 433-acre historic estate as part of a €75 million master plan.
We are now actively seeking an experienced General Manager to manage the day-to-day leadership of Hotel Westport and contribute to the vision and strategy for Westport Estate as a world-class tourism destination. As General Manager, you will work with and develop the entire team to provide exceptional guest services and consistently exceed the highest possible standards whilst overseeing the smooth running of the hotel’s operations.
Objectives of this role
- This is a senior management role responsible for leading the business through a period of innovative growth and positive transformational change whilst ensuring operational efficiencies and the provision of best-in-class customer experiences. To deliver you will need to be a strong visionary leader that inspires, managers and motivates others to deliver to the highest possible standards.
- In this role you will be responsible for developing, leading, and executing a strategic financial & operational plan to accurately forecast and deliver revenue and profitability growth, return on investment and other management initiatives to improve our market position.
- Actively develop and lead a performance culture which ensures that all objectives and targets are met. Motivate operational teams to continuously review performance, improve processes, innovate and develop capabilities to enhance performance and exceed targets.
- Develop and implement talent management programmes and systems for the management/operational team providing guidance, coaching, mentoring and regular feedback to help them strengthen specific knowledge/skills.
- Uphold standards of customer excellence and quality, ensure all guest feedback is appropriately actioned.
- Develop strategic plans for optimised productivity while tactically overseeing concurrent day-to-day operations.
- Seek out opportunities for expansion and growth by developing new business and community relationships.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills both internally and externally and be able to demonstrate a proactive approach.
- Set high standards, instil operational excellence, model accountability, integrity, and ethical behaviour.
- Responsibility for all hotel daily operations to ensure all departments run effectively to the standards expected of a 4* property and lead/manage any ad hoc projects that may arise.
- Participate in the implementation and delivery of Hotel Westport’s daily operations and development plans in conjunction with multiple stakeholders to include the business owners, senior management team, project design team and other external stakeholders
- Oversee day-to-day operations utilising leadership skills and motivation to assign weekly performance goals, KPI’s and assure their completion, maximise employee productivity, engagement, and satisfaction, while accomplishing your own goals.
- Onboard and train high-performing employees to achieve sales, profitability, market share and business plan objectives and KPI’s. Instil ownership of cultural values such that all team members become confident ambassadors for the brand and the business.
- Design, implement, delegate, and ensure adherence to tasks, policies, standard operating procedures, specifications, and guidelines to employees to perform them.
- Maintain project timelines to ensure tasks are accomplished on time and on budget without compromising quality.
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and ongoing review of operational budgets, including payroll and resource allocation plans. This includes the ability to align operational budgets with business goals & objectives and to ensure their delivery and/or realignment as needed.
- Disseminate all relevant and required information to your team.
Constantly improve and implement operational systems, processes, and policies as well as IT and technology solutions to ensure the business achieves targets.
- Promote a safety culture across all areas of responsibility. Oversee the effective application of regulations, health, safety, and welfare plans, risk assessments as well as incident handling to ensure a safe environment for employees and guests.
- Working in a flexible manner, leading and as part of a team which is adaptable to change and can demonstrate a high level of initiative and attention to detail.
- Ensure that all work complies with appropriate statutory requirements and ensure that all work functions are undertaken in accordance with health and safety legislation, codes of practice, and Hotel Westport and Westport Estate policies and procedures.
- Develop and carry out action plans to be environmentally conscious by taking steps to reduce the hotels carbon footprint.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive and it is issued as a framework to outline main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.
- Proven experience in a senior managerial role with strong decision-making, leadership and motivational capabilities and hold accountable a team that delivers results both operationally and financially in a customer centric environment
- Strategic thinker with proven track record of transforming operations through innovation and long-term strategies for continuous improvement
- Excellent track record in customer service and the energy, drive and passion needed to deliver an ambitious strategic plan in the hospitality or relevant industry with the ability to set vision and 'take people with you through to delivery
- Ability to drive innovation, efficiency, and effectiveness in all areas of the business.
- Critical skills include collaboration, engagement, team building & interpersonal skills
- Above-average communication and delegation skills
- Willingness to roll up sleeves and engage in delivery while also retaining a focus on the longer-term strategic plan
- Up-to-date working knowledge of modern trends and technology in hospitality.
- Strong working knowledge of operational procedures
- Preferred Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 7 to 10 years Senior level management
- Proven ability in developing talented employees.
- Strong communicator; and comfortable in contributing to the overall hotel strategy.
- Previous performance evaluation experience and working knowledge of human resources processes
- Background in selecting and implementing technology solutions
Westport Estate is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create and maintain a diverse workforce where everyone is respected and included.